The College has consultancy unit where a wide range of skills and training programs as well as Certificate, Diploma and HND programmes on part-time basis are offered. The center was established as an incorporated body of the college under the Companies and Allied Matters Act of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Thus, it is the Mohamet Lawan College of Agriculture’s registered income generating window to assist the College in the running of her activities.
The objectives are to:
- Create opportunities for those people who have no enough time to further their educations especially those working with local government and state, to be enrolled on part-time basis;
- provide technical, professional and other experts service to Governmental and non-governmental organisations, such services could take the form of agri-entrepreneurial skill training, feasibility reports, a wide range of specialized professional services such as socio-economic surveys, running of staff development programme, refresher courses, workshops etc;
- provide College staff, who are able and willing to provide consultancy services as legitimate, avenue for making additional income in conformity with the State Civil service Law.
- significantly increase to the income of the college and to make suggestions for the optimal investment of the capital generated and
- undertake any other functions that may be prescribed from time to time by the College Board.
The resource personnel of the Unit comprise some staff of the College and other professionals outside the college community. The College resource pool comprises academics whose job is not only teaching and researching but also consulting on a part time basis. Experience has shown that outstanding benefits can be drawn from combining research, teaching and consulting.
SOME RECENT COLLABORATIONS
Recently Mohamet Lawan college of Agriculture collaborates with government and some Non-governmental organisations in implementing some empowerment programmes. These includes among others:
- Refresher training to 200 members of Civilian Joint Task Force on fish, poultry, livestock, crops and vegetables production organized by the state government
- Empowerment training to 200 selected most vulnerable individuals in Borno state on fish, poultry, livestock, crops, vegetables production as well as tailoring and baking organized by the UNDP
- Empowerment training to 90 most vulnerable individuals in Borno state on fish, poultry, livestock production as well as tailoring and baking organized by the Action against Hunger.
- Planning and Preparation of business plan training to 200 beneficiaries for Borno State Government in collaboration with World Bank.
The unit have finished making plans to run postgraduate programs in the school. This will take effect as soon as the affiliation arrangement with University of Maiduguri is made. Below are the various part-time programs run under the unit at the College.
- NURSERY AND LANDSCAPING
- POULTRY PRODUCTION
- ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE
- ENTERPRENUESHIP EDUCATION
- AGRICULTURAL MECHANIZATION
- ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT
- FISHERY TYECHNOLOGY
- POULTRY HEALTH AND PRODUCTION
- HORTICULTURAL SCIENCE
- LIVESTOCK PRODUCTION MNT
- SCIENCE LAB. TECHNOLOGY (SLT)
- FOOD NUTRITION & DIETESTICS
- FOOD PROCESSING & PRESERVATION
- FOOD SECURITY & SAFETY
- LIBRARY SCIENCE
- BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
- COMPUTER SCIENCE
- DISASTER & RISK MANAGEMENT
- DIPLOMA IN AGRIC ECONOMICS & STATICSTIC
HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA (HND) PROGARMMES:
- HND ENVIROMENTAL MANAGEMENT
- HND LIVESTOCK PRODUCTION & MANAGEMENT
- HND FISHERY TECHNOLOGY
- HND POULTRY HEALTH & PRODUCTION
ENTREPRENEURSHIP STUDIES CENTRE (ESC)
National council of education (NCE) in its sitting in 2006 has proposed the introduction of entrepreneurship studies Centre (ESC) in all tertiary institution; presidential directives followed this in 2007.
The Centre is designed to translate the college programme into practical, train students into their relevant choice of their studies as well as for self-employment, reliance and economic prosperity.
The national board for technical education (NBTE) has directed all institutions under its guide and made in mandatory for the introduction of ESC and must commence as from 2012/2013 academic session. The establishment of entrepreneurship Centre have become an integral part of accreditation programme in all technical institutions in Nigeria.
The college been an agricultural and vocational skills training center uses some facilities that grant students access to practical agricultural knowledge. One of the principal teaching and research facilities used by the college is the Teaching and Research Farm, which is divided in to; Crop farm, Horticultural Farm, Small Ruminant farm, Large Ruminant farm, Poultry farm and Fish farm. These farms are located in strategic locations of the college covering a large area of land. Its primary function is to provide facilities for teaching and research in all the Departments of the college. This is in line with NBTE guidelines for running National Diploma and Higher national Diploma in Colleges of Agriculture.
The Teaching and Research Farm is managed under the Farm Department headed by Farm Manager with each sub-farm manage by specialist who are the unit managers.
The Farm is a service unit and plays a significant role in the teaching and research programmes of all the Departments in the College.
It is the laboratory of these Departments where practical experiences in field crop cultivation and management, handling and maintenance of agricultural machinery and implements, animal production and care, fish production, Poultry production and management, rabbitry, plantation and field cropping are acquired.